05 November 2009

Statement of Intent

For my media project, I have chosen to pursue brief number 9, in which I will need to create a three page website, a newspaper advertisement and a double page spread for a listings magazine. To create these effectively, I will need to make sure I research each pathway of media in great depth, to help my understanding of how they should be laid out for specific audiences.

I intend to create a nature channel for children aged roughly 5 to 8 years old. To aid my understanding of the type of website a child of this age would be attracted to, I will research into different websites, such as: Playhouse Disney, Cartoon Network and Nick Jr. This will also help me to determine the sorts of features children would like, such as games, music and colours. I am hoping to create a couple of linked pages which will contain a substantial amount of imagery to catch a child’s attention, relating to specific programmes which will be shown on the channel.

For the newspaper advertisement, I am considering aiming it more towards adults, as young children are not likely to read the newspaper. Therefore, I will need to emphasise the importance of it being an educational nature channel for kiddies, one of which they would relish their child watching.

As for the listings magazine, I will be able to aim this towards both adults and the children. As I will have a whole double page spread, I can make it colourful with images that will catch the children’s attention. As for the adults, I will add more information as to what certain programmes will be about and the times at which they are on, this will help assure the parents that they are can trust the educational and family friendly shows which the channel will feature.

I will create the website using Dreamweaver CS3 in which I will be able to manipulate the design to exactly how I would like it to be with the help of CSS language and original artwork which I can import into it. I will also be spending a rather lengthy amount of time working on After Effects as I was hoping to create a number of animations, again to create a “fun” website which the children will enjoy. To create my magazine spread and newspaper advertisement I will be using InDesign, which is a publishing programme, in which I will be able to make use of all the different features to make both advertisements the way I would like them to appear. For the overall project, I will be producing the artwork on Photoshop so that I can create and manipulate the final look and colouring, making it possible for them to be put into the different forms of media.