10 December 2009

Target Audience

From my research and initial ideas for a childrens channel, I have decided to target an age group of around 5 to 8 year olds. I have chosen this age group because I feel that it is not so young that it has to be predominantly games and activities, however, it is not so old an age group that there will have to be a large amount of text.

With a children's channel, I can use a lot of colour throught the website to attract youngster's attention and the use of imagery and animations will make it more interesting and exciting. If I was to make an adult channel, it would have to look a lot more modern and mature, whereas I can make each page fun and loveable, with cute animals.

From looking into Listings Magazines, there are not a wide variety that focus on the children's side of things. This gives the idea that children do not tend to read these types of magazines, therefore they are aimed at an older audience. This being said, I want my page to still catch a child's attention. To do this I will make it colourful and fun, as well as having little bits of information for the parents to read, allowing them to see clearer what will be shown on the channel and the types of programmes that will be featured.

For the newspaper advertisement, again, I will keep it fun and exciting for children. However, seeing as newspapers are also read by a majority of older age groups I will need to put information on it that will also grab an adults attention, making them comfortable to let their children watch the channel.